LinkedIn is a social networking site for professionals that was first introduced in 2003. With millions of users from over 200 countries all over the globe, this is a site that business owners, employees and job hunters join to build their connections. As with any other social networking site, an impressive profile is vital as this the first thing that people see when they click on you. And it's worth knowing that it's possible to customize your profile’s URL and this is recommended if you are using the site a lot or seeking work.
Why customize your LinkedIn URL?
When you sign up for a LinkedIn account, there is a default URL set on your profile. It contains random letters and numbers that would be impossible for anyone but a savant to remember. The good news is that you can customize this URL and use something unique and memorable. Before going through the steps on how to do this, let’s first look at the reasons why it's a good idea to personalize your LinkedIn URL.
- It’s easier to remember - This is one of the top reasons why you need to customize your URL. As we've said, the random line of letters and numbers you get on signing up can't really be remembered. So it you want to grow your connections and find more business or job opportunities, Having a more memorable URL is a very good idea. People can access your profile easily or recommend it to others if they remember it in the first place.
- It can be used in your email signature and business cards - To increase your exposure even more, you may include your LinkedIn URL in your email signature and business cards. It would look unprofessional and, let's face it, slightly ridiculous if you print the default URL randomly onto a card. The name of your company or your personal moniker looks much more professional.
- It’s more searchable online - LinkedIn profiles are not only searchable on the site itself. They also appear in the results when queries are made on search engines. You’ll have better chances of being found if part of your URL was searched.
How to customize the URL of your LinkedIn profile
Before customizing the URL of your LinkedIn profile, it’s best to ensure that all vital information is posted since it serves as your online resume. Think of the name that you wish to use in your URL. It must be composed of 3 to 30 numbers or letters. Special characters and spaces are not accepted.
- Log in to your LinkedIn account.
- Hover your mouse on “Profile”, which can be found on the top part of the screen, then click “edit profile”.
- Look below your photo and you’ll see your profile’s URL. Click the “edit” link next to it.
- Under “Your public profile URL” on the lower right side of the window, click the “customize your public profile URL” link.
- Enter your preferred URL name in the field.
- Click “Set Custom URL”.
That’s how you customize your LinkedIn URL. For instance, if you entered “SamJones”, your URL will be “http://www.linkedin.com/in/SamJones”. LinkedIn URL can only be customized up to three times within six months. If you’ve changed it three times in less than six months, you must wait for the said period to pass before you can change your URL again.